Mother House

Eighth Congrégation de Notre-Dame Mother House

By Michelle Renaud
Photo Search: Josée Sarrazin

 

Since April 2005 the eighth Mother House of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame has been located at 2330 Sherbrooke Street West. It is the residence of the Sisters, gathered together as an international community, who welcome and offer hospitality to all Sisters throughout the Congregation who are visiting or passing through Montreal, or participating in international meetings. The building also houses the administrative offices of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame and the Central Office of Associate Relationship.

The History of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame Mother Houses1    


 

 

Commemorative Low Relief

 

On the corner of Notre-Dame and Saint-Laurent Streets in Montreal can be found a low-relief sculpture under which is inscribed, “Close to this site stood the first school in Montreal estabalished in 1657 by Marguerite Bourgeoys 1620-1700 foundress of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame.”
This school was also the first Mother House.


 

Références

  1. This history is based upon the Timeline of the virtual exposition: Faith in Action, 350 years of Education by Marguerite Bourgeoys and the Congrégation de Notre-Dame, http://www.archivesvirtuelles-cnd.org. [return to text]
 

What are
the Sisters of
the Congrégation
de Notre-Dame
doing in 2019?